Meet Our Attorneys
Devin H. Fok - Founder of DHF Law
Admitted to Practice in All Courts in California
- California Supreme Court
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Northern District of California
- Central District of California
- Southern District of California
- Eastern District of California
Mr. Fok is a graduate of UCLA School of Law. During law school, he served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Earnest Hiroshige of the Los Angeles County Superior Court where he obtained an instructive view of trial practice from a judicial perspective. Before Mr. Fok founded his own practice, he developed his litigation and lawyering skills while working as an attorney at Girardi & Keese, one of the most reputable consumer litigation firms in California.
Mr. Fok has devoted his entire practice to assisting clients with conviction records. In addition to helping many people expunge their criminal records, Mr. Fok is one of the few attorneys in California representing consumers who have been wrongfully denied employment as a result of their criminal records. Mr. Fok has been certified as class counsel and is currently involved in numerous class actions across the country involving violation of background check laws.
Joseph Lee - Attorney
Mr. Lee is a graduate of UCLA School of Law. After law school, he developed his lawyering and litigation skills while working at a Martindale-Hubbell top ranked law firm. Mr. Lee also acquired extensive deposition experience while working for one of the largest and reputable workers' compensation firms in California, specializing in work related injuries. He is now devoting his efforts to help consumers expunge their criminal records and help those who have been wrongfully denied employment as a result of their criminal records. He is also currently working on several class action cases.
At DHF Law, our mission is to help people expunge criminal records that are eligible for dismissal, to enforce applicable laws to make sure consumers' records are up to date and accurate, and to ensure that every consumer who has a conviction record receives the full protection of law in employment, housing, licensing and education.
We believe our mission promotes a public interest because it helps people move on with their lives and helps people have a fair chance to gain employment.
What Is Happening and What We Are Involved In
- Roe, et al. v. Intellicorp Records, Inc. - $18.6 million settlement along with the background check company's promise to stop selling instant background check reports.
- Delgado, et al. v. Aerotek, Inc. - $15 million settlement for defective authorizations and the employer's failure provide the applicant with a copy of his report and a reasonable opportunity to dispute the contents of the background check report before the job is lost.
- Dowell et al. v. GIS - $3.4 million consolidated settlement along with King v. GIS based on allegations of disclosure of adverse information on background check reports that are older than 7 years.
- Culberson v. Disney - DHF Law, P.C. as co-lead counsel drafted and won motions for summary judgment and class certification against Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California where Judge Anne Jones certified a class of more than 40,000 applicants and appointed Mr. Devin Fok as class counsel along with his counsels.
- Hawkins v. S2Verify, LLC. - $1.09 million post-certification settlement for a background check company's disclosure of dismissed charges over than 7 years.
- Roe v. Frito-Lay, Inc. - $950,000 settlement for an employer's failure to provide the applicant with a copy of her report and a reasonable opportunity to dispute information.
- Watkins et al. v. HireRight, Inc. - $460,000 settlement for a nationwide class action alleging a background check company's failure to disclose everything in the consumer's file in violation of federal laws.
- Miramontes v. U.S.Healthworks, Inc. - $400,000 settlement for a nationwide class action alleging illegal procurement of employment credit reports as well as other FCRA violations. Final approval granted.
- Regalado v. Ryder Systems, Inc. - a nationwide class action in which this office helped reach a class-wide settlement on behalf of applicants who have been denied employment without being provided a copy of a background check report.
- Moran v. The Screening Pros - a pending appeal in the 9th Circuit related to the constitutionality of the California background check laws and issues related to its federal counter part in which the Federal Trade Commission and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau joined in amicus curiae.
- Many more...